My latest concoction is a protein-packed nosh with a twist on the standard powdered French onion dip. Not to downplay the party dip standard – it certainly has its place. I was inspired to use all natural and quality ingredients to recreate this classic dip.
This chip accompaniment can be sans bacon for a vegetarian option. A simple recipe, this onion bacon dip requires a little cooking, and some mixing of some tasty fixings. This version adds some smokey rich flavor, chunky texture and real food.
- 1 17oz Fage Yogurt 2% (equivalent to 2 cups)
- 6 cut up strips of nitrate free bacon – separate 2/3 for dip mix, and 1/3 to garnish. Fast fact, 2 strips of this type of bacon contains only 5g of fat!
- Olive oil (lightly grease pan)
- Approximately 1 onion. Choose a large onion if you like chunky onions in every bite
- 1/4 cup of green onions (split in half) – half to mix into dip, and half to garnish
- ½ teaspoon of salt (season to your liking)
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic onion powder
- Fresh ground pepper
Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan until it is crispy. Place bacon pieces on a plate with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Dump most of the bacon drippings but leave enough to coat the pan for flavor. Add more olive oil if you prefer less bacon grease. In the same pan on low-medium heat sautée one chopped yellow onion. Add some salt and pepper. After the onion browns add the 2/3 bacon into the mix. Stir. Cool for about 10-15 minutes.
I use my goto Fage yogurt instead of sour cream and mayo. The bacon and onion pungent flavors are delightful and you won’t miss the sour cream or mayo. Take the entire container of Fage yogurt (approximately 2 cups) in a mixing bowl and add about 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Mix well. Add in half the green onions for some added freshness. Add cooled bacon and onion and stir with wooden spoon or similar utensil. Add ground pepper and salt to your liking. Place in a serving bowl and top with remaining bacon pieces and green onions.
Serve with crudités, crackers or my fav, potato chips. Serves 3-4 people.