My friend Michelle made Buttons for a fundraiser at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Orange County-they were a hit and the first treats to sell out. She got the recipe from her friend Natalie Elizabeth from Long Beach, CA and shares it with HauteNosh. This easy recipe contains mini-pretzels, dark chocolate kisses, and peanut butter M&M’s. Buttons are sweet treat that only takes two to three minutes to heat up in the oven.
I made half a batch to test the recipe, and used red and green peanut butter M&M’s to make Christmas Buttons. You can make this sweet nosh for any occasion, and change colors based on any event or holiday! Note, there are about 75 Hershey Kisses in a standard size bag! Tip – I recommend you recruit helpers to unwrap the Hershey kisses, this task took the longest!
Buttons are the perfect combination of salty pretzels, chocolate, and peanut butter! However, if you have other flavor preferences, try the other various selections that Hershey Kiss or M&M offers. Warning, do not use M&M’s that contain whole nuts–they aren’t as easy to push down and won’t be as cute as a Button! 😉
**Update 12/20/12 – Please note that Buttons are best served same day after cooling, as chocolate can discolor with extreme drop in temperature.**
- “Buttons” 1 16oz bag Mini Pretzels – (Natalie recommends Snyder’s Mini Pretzels)
- 2 12oz bags – Hershey’s Dark Chocalate Kisses
- 2 18.4oz bags – Peanut Butter M&M’s
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees
- Foil a cookie sheet; lie pretzels neatly in rows on foiled cookie sheet
- Unwrap kisses and place one directly in the center of each pretzel
- Heat in oven for 2-3 minutes (ovens do vary)
- Remove from oven and press Peanut Butter M&M directly into center of warmed Kiss. Kiss will smash down to cover most of pretzel
- Allow Buttons to cool completely before serving or moving around.
- Makes approx 150 Buttons (about ten per person)